Support for entrepreneurs
The startup grant is intended to support your livelihood as a new entrepreneur. It is not a grant for the business as such, but is intended for your own living costs. The grant is subject to withholding tax, ie. taxable personal income. You can get the grant at the starting and establishment stage of the business, if you become a full-time entrepreneur or expand your previously started business activities from as a side job to becoming your main occupation. If you start a company together with others, you can all be granted startup grants. You can apply for the grant if you own at least 15% of the company, if you are in a decision-making position in the company and are employed in the company full time.The startup grant may be provided for a maximum period of 12 months. The grants are issued in six-month periods. All applications concerning the extension of the start-up grant period must be submitted to the TE Office. As a general rule, the extension application must be submitted before the end of the previous period. The startup grant consists of a basic grant, which amounts to EUR 33.78 a day.
Terms of the startup grant
Preconditions for receiving the grant include
- being a full-time entrepreneur
- having adequate capabilities for the intended business
- having potential for continued profitable operation
- the grant is necessary for the entrepreneur’s survival
- the business is only started after the grant has been awarded.
You are not eligible for the grant if
- your business is considered to provide a reasonable income from start
- the grant is judged to more than slightly distort the competition between you and those who offer similar products or services
- you have started a business that is considered a main occupation before you have received a decision on the grant
- you have to a significant extent neglected your obligations to pay taxes or statutory fees or have significant payment disruptions (However, the TE-services may, for special reasons, decide to grant the support anyway).